Everything Homeowners Need To Know About Clogged Drains!
Clogged drains are a serious nuisance. From the kitchen to the bathroom, a clogged drain can slow you down, leave unwanted residue behind, and cause all sorts of problems with your plumbing. Ben Franklin Levittown, the leaders in drain cleaning services in Abington, PA, wants homeowners to know all the signs, preventative measures, and ways to clear a drain before reaching out to us.
Signs Your Drain May Be Clogged:
- Water is backing up out of the drain.
- Pools of water form around the shower drain.
- Water drains slowly and forms pools.
- Toilet water “gurgles” when you run the sink.
- Drains make bubbling sounds (typically happens after running dishwasher or washing machine).
- Puddles of water form on the floor near the bathtub or a sink.
- There is a foul smell of rotting debris coming from the drain area.
How to Clear a Clogged Drain
Here are a few simple ways homeowners can try to clear a clogged drain before contacting an expert.
- Turn the faucet on, then fill the sink partly with warm water.
- For double kitchen sinks, plug one of the drains with a wet cloth.
- Cover the overflow hole in shower drains.
- Next, start to plunge the open drain (use the proper plunger for toilet or sink).
- Work the plunger up and down slowly several times, then pull it off, repeating as necessary.
If you do take on trying to clear the drain yourself before calling a professional, we recommend avoiding these common mistakes. Watch the video before you attempt to DIY your clog:
How to Avoid Clogged Drains
It’s important to understand how to maintain a clear drain once you or a professional clean it. Keep your pipes clog-free with these expert tips:
- Never dumb grease down the kitchen drain.
- Install a drain screen in the shower to catch long hair.
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly—avoid inserting foods such as potato peels, eggshells and coffee grounds.
Ben Franklin of Levittown can help with any clogged drain! Our plumbers provide both commercial and residential drain cleaning services in Bala Cynwyd, PA, as well as the surrounding area, which include addressing clogged kitchen drains, bathroom drains, outdoor drains, and sewer lines – 24 hours a day, seven days a week.